Sunday, February 17, 2013

Competition

After Art Culinaire I was completed with all the Cooking classes to receive an Associates Degree in the Culinary Arts, I just needed to finish up a couple classroom classes and the culinary competition.  So below are photos of the culinary competition, and the last photos I took during my Culinary Arts Degree.

So I went into the competition with 3 other people.  We had 3 culinary majors and 1 baking and pastry major.  The whole point was to create a five course menu within the allotted time, and have a center showpiece and table set up.  Well the day of the competition one of our team members didn't show up because her grandmother was in the hospital, so we were disqualified and unable to win.  The chefs gave us a choice to still compete or to go home; we were still getting credit for the competition because we passed the knife skills part.  The other members of my team decided to leave, so I was there alone.  I decided to compete still, except I would make a three-course meal and that was all.

When I decided to compete alone, I got some unexpected support.  Only three members of each team were allowed in the kitchen at a time, while one member waited in the hallway.  The members of the other teams in the hallway pulled together and set up a table for me, helped me to gather a recipe for caramel; and I also gained an ally in an old teacher, who found me center pieces and in the end helped me to get my plates to the table.

Below are photos from the competition:

 Dessert:
Molded Salted Caramel

 Appetizer:
Trout Cakes with garlic and red pepper flakes
Orange Supremes
shredded lettuce with a citrus vinaigrette

Entree:
Braised Duck with a reduction pan sauce
Sauteed Quinoa with peppers, onion and garlic
Sauteed Asparagus (in butter with garlic and pepper)

No comments:

Post a Comment